It’s that time of year again to show your mom how much she means to you!
Celebrations honoring mothers and motherhood can be traced back to Greek and Roman times, originating with festivals honoring the mother goddesses Rhea and Cybele. In modern times, Mother’s Day as we know it was established as a national holiday in 1908 by Anna Jarvis. It has been traditionally celebrated by the giving of flowers, cards or other gifts, but family-centered activities and meals are common too. How does your family usually celebrate?
Mother’s Day is a wonderful opportunity for you to express your gratitude for all the love and support your Mom has provided to you through your lifetime. It’s your chance to share her how much she means to you, and show your appreciation for the impact she has had on your life.
Rather than just giving her Hallmark’s finest, why not make her feel truly special this year by doing something fun as a family? Here are a few creative ideas for activities that make this Mother’s Day rich in meaning and memories for years to come!
1. Take her out for a gourmet picnic in the park: Throw together a tasty mixture of nuts, fruit, cheeses, deli cold cuts, French bread and chocolates for a fun, healthy meal in the sunshine. Maybe include a bottle of white wine too if the kids are grown!
2. Fly kites together: Is it breezy out? Why not fly kites? This is a team activity full of excitement, skill and plenty of laughter.
3. Watch old home videos together: This activity is a blast and great bonding time for the whole family. Both the kids and parents will love laughing at the old clothing styles and goofy candid moments.
4. Queen for a day: Treat your mom to three whole meals planned and prepared by dad and the kids. Include her favorite foods, or maybe make reservations for dinner at a nice restaurant.
5. Plant a flower garden: Make Mother’s Day last through the summer months and beyond by planting a bed of her favorite flowers. Young kids will love discovering earthworms and lady bugs in the fresh soil.
6. Go for a wildlife walk: Do you have open space by your house? Spring time means that the birds, deer and other local animals will be out and active. Grab some binoculars and view them from a safe distance.
7. Play a board game: Monopoly, Masterpiece and the Game of Life are all excellent ways to bond with your family over some friendly competition.
8. Family outing: Is your local zoo or museum open? Go see the animals or explore the exhibits for a fun and educational family activity.
9. Visit the grandparents: Your grandmother is a mother too! Make Mother’s Day special for three generations by spending quality time with your grandparents.
10. Bake something: Few things bring a family closer together than cooking a cake or pie from scratch and then enjoying it together. Give everyone a task in the kitchen and sample the frosting frequently!
However you choose to celebrate, we at Windsor Family Dental wish you and your family the very best on Mother’s Day!